Yesterday morning my BF made me wake up at the crack of dawn (well 7:30) to head down to the inauguration of our 44th President, Barak Obama (in case you haven’t been paying attention to the news). D.C. has been a madhouse since millions of tourists descended upon the city for this historical event. We were not one of the lucky 450,000 people with tickets for the swearing in, so we decided, after consulting the Washington Post and numerous other sources, to head to the Washington Monument and then work from there. As we got closer to the Mall the streets were full with other pedestrians. It was cool to just walk thru downtown DC with no cars in sight, except of course military vehicles!


Once we got to the mall it was a little hard to get around. Planning was poor on the United States’s part and there were not a lot of places to enter the area around the monument.  We got in by climbing over a concrete barrier, but once inside there were plenty of portapotties and space for all. Marc and I settled in a spot on the hill right near a jumbotron, we could vaguely make out the capitol in the distance.


Then, we waited for about two hours in the cold. I was bundled up, but I still wish I’d brought some warm drinks. We read that you could not bring a bag larger than 4 by 8 inches, but that was really just for the people who had tickets. Where we were there was no security in sight. It was actually a little unnerving, if anything had happened there would have been no way to safely evacuate.


By the time the ceremony rolled around the place was FULL. I’ve never seen so many people in my life. Our jumbotron offered a lovely view of everything and the crowd was having a lot of fun.


Obama’s speech was rockin’ and those two first daughters are just so cute. I thought Michelle’s outfit was neat too, color choice a little odd though. Biden’s wife’s jacket was awesome and red, but she wasn’t wearing stockings with her boots. Mrs. Biden, didn’t your mom always teach you to wear tights in winter? HUGE pet peeve of mine.

At the end of everything madness ensued. Due to the poor planning on part of America there was barely anywhere to exit and it took us about 45 minutes to get out. Then, we had to outrun some National Guardsmen before they closed 19th St. We won the race and made it home in 30 minutes flat.  I am still cold, but it was definitely a cool thing to experience.